The Elos Foundation has a rich history in Holland. It's where it was founded and where since 2010 an enormous amount of activities have taken place, reaching all four corners of the country. In 5 years a movement of practioners did over 25 projects, reaching almost 2000 people for participatory transformation of Dutch communities.
One year after the first Oasis Games and exchange with E-Motive in 2010, a community mobilization project was facilitated in the makassarplein buurt, Amsterdam East. During the process the Elos Foundation was visited and invited for a conversation with stichting DOEN, which allowed us to dream bigger. In that early stage of bringing the Oasis Game to Holland we felt the need to test it in different environments and agreed to set up projects around temporary unused city plots, in hypermodern yet quite socially segragated ‘phoenix’ communities and rural areas. With these test projects and continuous opportunities to train people in the methodology we got the opportunity to build a community of learning and expertise around the newly founded Elos Nederland.
Spreading across Holland
While executing, sharing, building capacity and learning by doing in 2012 this partnership with stichting DOEN was extended with an additional program with the purpose of geographical spreading and building visibility of our work through a video and a book. In the meantime the variety of contexts where we applied the Elos philosophy increased, from working in schools, with changemakers, in assylum centres, rural settings to urban creative neighborhoods. The bottom-line was that the philosophy and its seven steps worked in getting people to collectively move. Sometimes we built a ‘musictemple’ in one day only and sometimes the miracle of the process was expressed in the new confidence build amongst neighbors and the voices of pride and happiness shared in the closing circle.
From Holland to more
In those first 3,5 years we realized over 20 projects, with over 1400 people participating. In partnership with Stichting DOEN and many other local and inter-local partnerships the Oasis Games marked new beginnings for the communities and our growing circle of facilitators alike.
These years laid a basis of a community of facilitators and organizers of Elos inspired projects that are continuing the work in the Dutch society. Independently and in connection with eachother. The current Oasis Holland community is still innovating the application of Elos philosophy projects, with longer term projects, bringing the philosophy into universities and many other projects.
The projects all had their own unique local results, but about the Oasis Holland movement as a whole we can
share some highlights;
- Since its founding over 20 projects have been realized with about 1800 people participating
- A community of facilitators, organizors and supporters has been build up with a group of 30 people working with the methodology
- Some of the physical results include the construction of the ‘musictemple’ in the village of ‘t Zandt, the uplifting of the Badhuys community centre and coffee corner in Haarlem, and the realization of many meeting areas and community garden such as in Oldenzaal and the community of ‘t puntje in Den Haag.
- Oasis Game and Elos philosophy have become a reference in Holland for community-mobilization and participatory processes, supported by the videos and the oasis storybook launched in 2013.
- In Amsterdam North, where the first Oasis Game took place in 2010, Elos and its' facilitators have supported from 2014 the realization of community-entrepreneurship projects, ending up with the launch of a community coperative in march 2016, hosting 8 income generating community projects.
These years laid a basis of a community of facilitators and organizers of Elos-inspired projects that are continuing to work in Dutch society both independently and in connection with each other
Wanna know more?
Get in touch with the Oasis Holland community via:
Mara Verduin - Mara@maraverduin.nl
Jeske de Kort - Jeskedekort@gmail.com